Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Role Model

...and I don't mean that ironically.

The director of our office is technically one of my bosses. I don't report to her, but she is the director and the head honcho in our department. And I absolutely adore her. The more I learn about her, the more I look up to her and love her.

First of all, she is understanding, kind, empathetic, and she can TCOB. (Take care of business). She doesn't beat around the bush and she will say what she needs to say, etc, but it never makes you feel attacked, uncertain, or less-than. I can't say that I've seen her have a bad day. She isn't always "on" but she is never less than welcoming and willing to speak with you and help you and problem-solve, etc. She is a great boss. I think she's also a great person.

She is so fun. She seems to have a fabulous marriage and her and her husband are always out and about and trying new things and taking classes together, and he'll always help her out with technology when she calls on behalf of our office, ha. They have lots of animals and are active in their church. She herself is always so eager to learn about new things and cultures and is so welcoming to all our students and guests. She genuinely cares about us as humans and tries to incorporate living-well activities into staff meetings and retreats, and always tries to find times for us to have fun too. She is known to buy us Starbucks, silly gifts for holidays, and, like today, lunch. I later found out on the downlow that she does these extras not with our office budget, but out of her own pocket. She is just so generous and nice!

Earlier this week in a staff meeting, our wellness activity was to share something that made us happy. When it was my turn, I brought up animals. I talked about how I just love animals, all animals, and they make me so happy, and being able to spend the past weekend with my boyfriend's dog and seeing her play at the dog park, just makes me so happy. I went off on a tangent (what else is new) about how I was recently in the wedding at the San Diego Zoo and just loved seeing all the animals and about how much I love penguins and blah blah blah.

This morning, not even an hour ago, there's a knock on my office door. She tiptoes in and asks if I donate to the World Wildlife Foundation. I felt sort of ashamed to say no after my ravings about animals haha, but she said "Okay good!" and presented me with a 2016 calendar she received from WWF (because she donates to them because of course she does) that had a penguin on the cover that immediately made her think of me and gifted it to me.


It made me want to cry, because it was so sweet, and I was so appreciative, and I wish I had half the selflessness and cheer that she has. It's perfect too because (fun fact! I'm obsessed with calendars) and my 2015 office calendar has been a San Diego Chargers one that I got from the Chargers/Broncos game I went to last December, and I didn't have a replacement for next year - and now I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment