Sunday, November 29, 2015

Memorable Gifts

In looking for a blog prompt (and celebrating Christmastime!) I found this:

What was the most memorable gift you ever received?

I kinda lol'd because you know, "memorable" doesn't necessarily mean in a good way. I think most people interpret that to mean, like, the "best" gift, but I've had some pretty memorable gifts that weren't the "best" gifts.

During my freshman year of high school (2001), this boy Mat and I had been talking for awhile. We would talk on the phone after school and I remember how I had told him that I love Italian salad dressing so much, I could just drink it plain. That Valentine's Day, he brought me a small hand-picked bouquet of daisies and a bottle of Italian salad dressing with a bow on it. I couldn't believe he remembered that, and that he would think to get me that. It was very memorable. And it took a lot of explaining at school, because it's not every day you're walking around with a bottle of salad dressing to 5th period. It was also memorable because I experienced how much more meaningful it is to receive a gift from the heart, rather than from the wallet. Also, it's hard to forget you were gifted salad dressing.

Also, I spent Christmas 2006 in Germany with a friend, since I wouldn't be going home to the US and didn't have much to do around in France alone. My friend's parents showered me with gifts that year, which was just so adorable and sweet and kind and memorable. I do remember the gifts (an original stein from the Hofbrauhaus, a book on German culture, two German cutting boards, and my friend took me to see a musical in Cologne that week) and the gifts in and of themselves weren't so memorable, but the entire experience that Christmas really was, I think it sort of counts.

If you'd like to make this list for next year, I would really cherish a trip around the world. kthxbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment