Saturday, March 12, 2016

20 Adventures from my 20s: #19

This next one isn't one concrete day or event. It was just that whole era, that time I was driving weekly to LA

PERFORMING WITH GROUNDLINGS

I discovered improv as something to do in NYC. Originally I was looking into the Upright Citizens Brigade, but naturally it was a more expensive option, so I went with The PIT. It. Was. Magical.

I frickin loved improv. There's nothing to study or memorize, and all you do is laugh. Plus, it was extremely therapeutic in learning how to not assume you know the future, to wait, to react appropriately, to live in the literal moment, and to always say yes!

I was sad about leaving behind The PIT when I moved home, but I was moving to the 3rd biggest comedy scene... LA! (Behind Chicago and New York). So I signed up for the Groundlings, the iconic LA theatre that produced the likes of Phil Hartman, Will Ferrell and Kristen Wiig. I remember being in the room with Kathleen, and nervous about dropping the money, especially because I was unemployed, but damnit I was going to need something to keep my sanity!

I loved it. I loved to be doing something so fun, at the Groundlings on Melrose Avenue. After the second round of classes, my teacher asked me and a few other girls if we would like our own side training as our troupe.

Missing Katie and Dani
It was even more magical. Personalized instruction, small, constant attention, and we learned to work with other's styles. I miss them. I miss Groundlings. Really this entry is probably the sentiment of all those side hobbies and adventures I pursued just for the hell of it, because I was young, single, and had some expendable cash. I'm having less energy and patience and flexibility for these kinds of things, so I'm really appreciating all the things I did do when I could! And man, I did a lot of stuff.



Yoga, volleyball, ballet, springboard diving, and improv were my favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment