Thursday, March 3, 2016

20 Adventures from my 20s: #10

One of my favorite memories; not just of my 20s, not just of my time in New York, and not just of holiday celebrations and summertime, but of life, was when I spent

FOURTH OF JULY IN THE HAMPTONS

This trip was glorious for all the reasons mentioned above though: I was an early-20s youth living in NYC in the midst of summer and got invited for a long weekend to Hamptons to celebrate the 4th.

A co-worker, Joe, who somehow has literally NO END to the events and glamour in his life, was going away with friends from high school for the weekend and invited some of us to join. Jayna, Jamie and myself accepted. Jayna and I took the train out there together. If I remember right, we were supposed to be taking the train to Southampton, but Joe called us on the way and said that he would instead pick us up a Bridgehampton, to which Jayna replied "As long as it still has Hampton in the name, that's fine." HA.

The mini mansion that we had to ourselves that weekend featured a tennis court, swimming pool, lounge deck, plenty of spare bedrooms, and a play basement with a drum set, pool table, pinball machine, and probably more that I can't remember anymore.




Looked it up in my past blogs - believe I was reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts



Why was that weekend just so goddamned perfect?? I don't know! Partly being the Hamptons, partly just having a weekend of straight-up relaxing with friends, with plenty to do, night swimming, day drinking, and late night dance parties and staying up until sunrise. And so much shenanigans! Plus they had some disco ball light for the pool that made it change colors ooooh! Jamie taught me some basics on playing the drums, there was just so much to do and I felt so classy doing it all! We also went to the Hamptons beach on one of the days, and it was oddly hot and foggy and I really preferred just going straight back to the pool deck, ha.

I also felt extremely New York. I always felt like I was still just a Californian girl visiting New York City for a prolonged time, but taking the train from Penn Station out the Hamptons for the long weekend, and heading back to my apartment in Manhattan afterwards... just felt very New Yorker!

No comments:

Post a Comment