Sunday, March 6, 2016

20 Adventures from my 20s: #13

Holidays were a bit bizarre for me while living the Big Apple. It was always a toss-up whether I would return home, or at the very least make it to San Diego, and that usually turned up NO, since it was expensive, I had limited PTO, and usually reserved home for Christmas. If I stayed in the city, it was unsure whether my closer friends would be around, or if they would return home, or have guests, or what their plans were, and if we would celebrate together instead. So, when Ronnie, Betsy and I weren't scrounging together a Feaster celebration or wandering around an empty city together on Labor Day Weekend, it was pretty fun to celebrate

THANKSGIVING IN MONTREAL

The French-speaking city had been a dream destination of mine for awhile, and with the two free days off for Thanksgiving, I took off the Wednesday previous and took a train from New York City up to Montreal, where I met up with Jens who flew in from Germany, to traipse around a winter wonderland Canada for the weekend.

I remember we called this the Corner of America because it had a Starbucks on one side and McDonald's on the other!






We did get to explore the city, but we made sure that we had as close to a traditional Thanksgiving meal as possible. I remember that we found a fancy restaurant with a menu pre-fixe that featured chicken, which was the closest that we were able to find to turkey around there for some reason. And I made us each say what we were thankful for.

I don't mind missing holidays for travel, and I love still putting something together and having an even more memorable holiday due to it. And I still love Montreal!

No comments:

Post a Comment