Monday, October 27, 2014

Festival Supreme

Way back when, maybe in June, I was listening to the radio on my way to work when KROQ's Kevin and Bean were interviewing Jack Black, who was promoting his event Festival Supreme. For all intents and purposes, it's like a comedy Coachella... a day-long festival of multiple stages and a free-for-all reign of all the stand-up, performance and music comedy that they could pack in to the day. (There were also music acts there, which, aside from Tenacious D, ended up being a little more confusing than anything else). Well, I was sold, and I convinced my fellow Groundling member Chelsea to buy a ticket as well, and Saturday was the day.

It. Was. Awesome!! I went to Chelsea's place in LA in the morning, and she and I stuffed ourselves with Chipotle first before heading to the Shrine Auditorium. They utilized indoor and outdoor space which was great. There was stand-up going on inside, and more performance-based comedy and music going on outside. Chelsea and I got in around 4, and it felt like we had so much time ahead of us, but everything went so fast! We pretty much were darting back and forth, inside and out to catch everyone we could, in-between running to the restroom and grabbing beers. The coolest thing was how unpretentious it was, and most of the comedians were out in the crowd with the rest of us watching other comedians during the show. I was sad to pieces when I came out of the bathroom and Chelsea told me Fred Armisen had literally just passed me.

Highlights included: Janeane Garafalo, Norm MacDonald (high out of his mind), Eric Andre (later in the crowd with us), Fred Armisen (who played the Sparkling Applejuice song that only I seemed to know in all of LA), Margaret Cho, Workaholics, Nick Kroll, Drunk History, Comedy Bang Bang (who brought out Zach Galifinakis and Adam Scott), Doug Benson, and the winner of the festival in mine and Chelsea's opinion: Bo Burnham. 

Arj Barker was also there, but we just missed him on arriving, however, we were out watching Heidecker & Wood (with Eric Andre) and Arj Barker came walking by. I FANGIRLED-OUT and started hyperventilating and asking Chelsea if I should be "that girl" and ask for a picture with him because I love him, but my heart was beating too fast and in that time another girl actually approached him, and he was really nice, but he kept going and didn't take a picture with her, so I figured it was for the best. However, when he was walking back, he walked in front of me and we made eye contact and smiled at each other and THAT was the crowning moment of the weekend!!

Norm MacDonald (horrible picture, I know)

Bo Burnham

Comedy Bang Bang, Scott Aukerman hosting on the left, then Zach Galifianakis, Adam Scott, and some girl Tracy??
Oh! And how's this for inconvenient? Chelsea and I are outside in the thick of the Tenacious D crowd when I for some reason get the inkling to check my phone and I see a missed call and a text from Palak. A missed call AND a text? Hmm. I check the text. It's this:


And there I was, outside, in LA, with live music, aka impossible to call her back. But it's true, she got engaged on Saturday!

On Sunday I slept in (ain't no joke spending all day standing and then driving back home at midnight from LA! Chelsea had to teach Zumba in the morning and I figured I may as well just get home at this point) and then packed me up a little breakfast picnic (even though it was like 1p) and went to Fairmount Park to read by the lake. It was so pleasant! And then Anja and I caught each other on text for once (this is difficult with our time difference) and were able to selfie between me in the park and her in the Baltimore airport awaiting her flight back to London.




It was a refreshing weekend. When I ran into my neighbor Rick on Sunday, we were catching up and he asked how I was today and I even said "man, I feel refreshed" and he said "it was all that comedy, right? It's a stress reliever" and I thought YES. YES IT IS.


And there's the little kitty Khaleesi being adorable, just because she is. She's even attacking a toy ball with feathers and not her damn bug bands for once!

No comments:

Post a Comment