Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Birthday Weekend

Not my birthday sillies, AJ's! But man, what a weekend. On Friday I put on my amazing yearly Paint & Sip event for our students here. Last year we painted trees with watercolors. This year we painted teacups with tempera paint.








As soon as work was done I had to run out and run home to pack for camping this weekend for AJ's birthday in Idyllwild. AJ and I were driving up with his BFF Chris, and the dogs, Anana and Chris' husky Odin. Khaleesi was not happy when they all came bounding in my front door, and I got this picture of her showdown with Odin. Chris said it almost looked like Odin was looking in the mirror and finding out he was actually a cat haha!


Camping was fun times! We didn't DO much, but there was lots of beer, campfire stories and jokes and riddles and beer pong and cards and playing with the dogs. Anana was SO CUTE and would always sit outside of our circle and just stay on guard. Once during the day, I took a nap on the ground, and she sat in front of me guarding me in my sleep and would growl at anyone coming by. SO CUTE!!






Never far away when meat is present



We also thought about how trippy it was that we were there to celebrate AJ's 30th and our campsite spots were #29 and #30... his transition!



We came home on Sunday evening. AJ and I unloaded his truck, took showers, laid down and watched Daria, took a power nap, then ate and went and saw Deadpool at 10pm. The movie finished at 11:58 which was perfect because we got to countdown the minutes to midnight and wish him a happy 30th birthday! Then we got shakes on the way home mmmmm.

Since Monday was a weird half-holiday, i.e., some people have it off and some don't, I thought it would be pretty sweet - like a free day off with things open and clear, but it wasn't. We slept in a lot and relaxed and did home facials to clear our pores after the camping (my idea, ha!)


After that we went off to eat, but we kept missing the breakfast cutoff everywhere we went. SAD. We ate the Mission Inn Restaurant for the lunch buffet and it was deeeeeelish. Plus it was borderline classy and quite nice. We had to drop my car off in San Bernardino (annoying) but afterwards we went mini golfing at Castle Park which was SO FUN and ended up buying winter passes for unlimited golfing and rides through the end of March - ha! I was actually killing AJ in mini golf but ended up really coming apart on the last 2 holes and he beat me by a few strokes. Whateverrrrr. Castle Park even has a wild peacock there which was just beautiful.




Oh and I made him take pictures in the picture booth there, it was so hot and sweaty and the camera was at a horrible angle, it was again not our finest, but it was hilarioussssss


At home after that we played with Anana, had some wine, and I gave AJ his birthday presents - it was a whole pack of travel gifts included a passport holder, a personalized luggage tag with a picture of Anana on it, a carry-on cocktail kit with all the fixin's for an old-fashioned on the flight, and travel books for Copenhagen and Iceland. We also got a great surprise when AJ's friends, a couple that we had been trying to convince to come to Iceland with us, gave AJ a copy of their flight tickets for his birthday, announcing that they would be joining us! So we are more stoked than ever - and the trip is coming up so fast!


We finished the day with dinner at The Salted Pig, which AJ just loved. Plus, shoutout to our awesome waiter who took note of the fact that it was AJ's birthday and gave him star treatment, including birthday ice cream on the house - AJ chose maple bacon and yes I probably ate more than half of it and yes it was totally worth it!


Before AJ left I checked my Instagram and imagine my surpreeeeese to see that his bday picture I posted had 29 likes! I told AJ - I hope you get 1 more like so that you have 30 likes on your 30th birthday! He said "Did you like it yet?" and I said "Nopeeee" and liked it and then said "Okay, I hope no one else likes it so you have 30 likes on your 30th birthday!"


And now we can all turn our attention back to me and my upcoming birthday LOLOLOLOL jk. Sort of.

2 comments: