Sunday, February 21, 2016

Coronamageddon

The 91 shut down this weekend, and with it... all of my hopes and dreams.

That is to say, that I did absolutely nothing this weekend. But let me start at the beginning.

On Friday I went to a conference in San Bernardino at the CSUSB campus. You know, it actually is beautiful... set in the desert amongst the foothills, etc. It's just that the nearby demographic was... hmm... intimidating. The funniest part was that we were reviewing protocols for transferring international students between institutions, and look what they used as an example...


Not only was this my former employer, it was the San Diego office. This was my exact job, signing forms like these. That email they blocked out could have been mine! (Or Chrishon's, who had the job before me - and I texted her and Jayna with this craziness). Ahh the memories!

While I was listening to conversations on international student services whilst sucking down cup after cup of coffee (the whole coffee bar even included flavored syrups... let's just say I got everyone's money's worth... even though this meeting was free LOLOLOL) my mother dropped by my house to pick up her camping supplies and sent me this text of my beeeeeautiful little kitty!


The meeting was over by 2:30 and I was free (score!) and I was supposed to get my hair done, but my hairdresser was sick. So I replaced that with some good ol' Trader Joe's grocery shopping. I must have gone wild that night because I don't remember what else I did.

On Saturday I worked on a bunch of projects, and then went and got my taxes done which ended up taking close to 3 hours UGHHHH. I was too irritated when I got home to do anything else. I knew I needed to clean my apartment, but was waiting to get that "wind" of motivation to do it. It never came, and I was annoyed at how dirty it was, so I forced myself to clean. It wasn't a fun cleaning... the kind where you're in a good mood and put on music and enjoy it. I was in a bad mood and didn't feel like cleaning and everytime you clean one thing, you notice there's another thing that needs to be cleaned too. But, I was in a fabulous mood when it was over and my place was so much cleaner!!**
**My apartment was built in the '30s. It will never be actually clean, just cleaner than normal.

As a reward for the cleaning, I allowed myself to go to Target, and can you believe I couldn't really find anything I wanted? I just got boring stuff on my list, like new Burt's Bees chapstick.

Today there were plans to go to LA (via the 60 fwy) for AJ's birthday lunch, but family members ended up getting sick and it was canceled. I was secretly relieved (sorry Ayj!) cause I didn't want to drive out there and figured the traffic would be very unpredictable with the 91 down. I watched a lot of Daria, and then work on getting my porch in order. I swept it and re-planted and watered and made a new batch of hummingbird food for the feeder (which had been out since last summer) and I finallyyyyyy put bird seed in the bird feeder my neighbor gave me a yearrrrr ago and hung that up too. Then I opened all the doors and windows, put on Florence + the Machine and got to finishing a painting from almost TWO YEARS AGO. I know because on the back of it I wrote Started: March 28, 2014. I dug up the progress photos I took all that time ago... look at the progression!





BTW, it is modeled after a picture I took in New Orleans while on the soul cleanse roadtrip home from NYC with Jayna, at the gate of the Place d'Armes. First I finished my painting session with this:


And then after researching linguistics while watching Inception (seriously, the best movie in the entire universe, it gets an award for Best Movie in Kristin's Lifetime) I got a second wind and finished it up with Rudy on.


I'm starting to find that I really enjoy painting, and a lot of it is due to the fact that I don't feel particularly good or talented, I don't expect it to ever become much, so it really is just for fun, just for me, completely relaxing and leisurely, no undue stress or negative talk or high standards. I have no idea what to do with the painting now, but I told AJ I might try to sell it to an eye dr in exchange for free LASIK.


And I got this picture of my kitty sleeping while I was working on my painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment