Thursday, February 18, 2016

The Revenant

AJ and I went to see The Revenant last night. He haaaaaaaaated it! Hated with a Capital H! Hahahaha. This movie is more of a "film" for whatever that's worth, and even I felt a little bored at times, mainly because I was expecting more of a plot-based movie with dialogue. I didn't hate it, but I wish I had been more prepared for the type of film that it was. I probably could have waited to see it on DVD.

They really don't lie when they tell you a man is attacked by a bear, left for dead, and then seeks revenge. That is literally what happens, and it is all that happens. However, it's a lot more like a frontier Cast Away, a lot of silence, a lot of survival, and instead of a volleyball, Wilson is a bear who tries to kill him.

With that being said, the cinematography and the scenery is truly breathtaking. The film is visually STUNNING, and I not only loved watching the extreme authenticity of it, but after having come from a weekend of camping, still wonder how he survived this in SOUTH DAKOTA SNOW!! I also love seeing how our ancestors survived and am obsessed with what life was really like in all these different places at all these different times. I was mesmerized by this portrayal of the American frontier in the early 1800's. But again, wish I had known it going in, got a little bored at times, and could have waited to see it on DVD.

Also, while I am TOTALLY TEAM LEO and really want him to win the Oscar (although I will miss all the thirsty Leo memes and Internet trolling) I didn't necessarily think this was his best movie, and (dare I say it?) Tom Hardy upstaged him with his amazing acting. Leo just did more crazy stunt stuff. I got home late after the movie and am sleepy today.

Fun fact: just learned that the song Six Weeks by Of Monsters and Men was inspired by this true story of frontiersman Hugh Glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment