Monday, February 29, 2016

20 Adventures from my 20s: #7

Who was the popular band when you were a kid? The one you dressed up like, made up dances to, worshiped? The one that your friend Amy had all kinds of memorabilia of, including a behind-the-scenes VHS that you were totally jealous of? Did you get to go to their concert?

Me neither.

That is, not until I was 21. Then I went to see...

THE SPICE GIRLS REUNION TOUR

My first concert was New Kids on the Block, and my first CD was Mariah Carey, but nothing can ever erase the magic that was The Spice Girls.

Oh the dances me and Amy performed to them! The afternoons on the trampoline with the CDs playing! We formed our own Spice Girls in (elementary) school and used to print out the lyrics with each Spice Girl assigned to her lyrics and sing it at recess. Taping the music videos off MTV!

On Wednesday, December 5, 2007, I woke up in my house in college. I remember going downstairs and my roommate had written HAPPY SPICE GIRLS DAY on the whiteboard, and wished me a Happy Spice Girls Day to my face. A lot of people were jealous. My boyfriend Jeff was driving me down to LA that night, where I was going to meet up with Pam and her roommate Meera (driving up from San Diego) and Jeff would go hang out with friends until the concert was over.

The concert itself was electric and amazing and I felt all my childhood wishes finally coming true! The weird part was how old we all were! I thought kids liked the Spice Girls... but we were all college and 20-somethings and the only kids in site were Posh Spice's three boys with their dad David Beckham nearby in box seats (true story).






Is it wrong I hope they don't tour again so that ticket and experience don't get devalued?? LOLOLOL.

And on the subject of legends and concerts in my 20s...



Can't leave out seeing Tom Petty at the infamous Beacon Theatre!

No comments:

Post a Comment