Saturday, March 1, 2014

Murray? Present.

In December 2007, I was a senior in college. My boyfriend at the time came down from Santa Barbara during Christmas break for a few days, and brought with him his new DVDs of the HBO show Flight of the Conchords. He kept insisting that I should watch it, but I wasn't having it. I can be a creature of habit, and I didn't feel like concentrating on a new show, especially when Kathleen and I were determined to finish our puzzle. So one morning, Kathleen and I were bent over our puzzle while he was doing some work and watching Flight of the Conchords. More often than not, I would hear a lot of things that were funny, but I couldn't laugh since I was so adamant about not watching it. Of course, then there was a song that included the line "I would solve the hardest puzzle" as Kat and I were fretting over our own, and we both laughed a lot, and so I decided to give in and watch it, and I was not disappointed. Two broke New Zealanders in New York City trying to make their band big with the help of a degenerate New Zealand consular as their manager, and only one consistent stalker fan.

By January 2008, I was a proud owner to a pet rat (they are adorable! Don't judge!) and even though he went through a lot of names, I'm pretty sure his first or second was Murray, in tribute to the manager, played by Rhys Darby. Here's one of my favorite scenes!



So when Marisa and I both had nothing to do yesterday evening, she suggested we look into the Ontario Improv, since we'd been talking about doing that for awhile. There was a guy from the TBS show Sullivan & Sons, which was fine by us, but right before we went to get tickets, she said she'd look at the Brea Improv, and who was playing there but Rhys Darby! I insisted that we go to that one, and so we did.

We got ready at her house, and her fiance offered to drive us so that we could drink. We went to downtown Brea (which none of us had been to and was pretty sweet!) and started at Yard House for food and drinks before going off to the Improv next door. It was exciting to see him and I did a lot of hollering and clapping.



And let's say this: since the fiance wasn't drinking, his fun apparently came in overloading us with as many shots and drinks as possible. By the ride home, I was not exactly in the best way. How I had the foresight and motor skills to roll down the window and puke outside the car is beyond me, but thank goodness I did. (This marks only the 3rd time in my life I have ever thrown up from drinking too much!) I was in no fit position to go anywhere so I crashed at her place, she brought me Gatorade and Advil in the morning, which I promptly threw up again, then we hosed off her car before I headed home. Thank goodness I still had my Del Taco bags in the car from lunch the day before, because I threw up again while driving home.

I got home, and have been out of commission literally all day. Sleeping, waking maybe enough to go get water. Sleeping, feeling better enough for a banana. Sleeping, feeling better for carbs, reading a chapter of Game of Thrones, sleeping, and finally feeling recovered by 5p. I'm not saying I'm proud, but it makes for better reading than yet another subbing story. Besides, since I never feel like drinking ever again, I'll want to remember the night that ended it.

And now to get ready because Marisa and I are going to a club in LA. At least I got to see Rhys Darby! I wish he would have recreated some Murray scenes though, that might be my only complaint.

P.S. HAPPY MY BIRTH MONTH TO ALL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment