Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Birthday Season

Get ready for some pictures, cause boy are they a-comin'!

I would say March is our birthday month for my circle of San Diego friends, and the reason that I say that is because, even though both Priya and Ankita are in May, and Sri and Palak are in August, you'd think it wouldn't be so different that both Rafael and I are in March... but you'd be wrong. I am a huge birthday person, and as such, take every opportunity to remind everyone. The backlash, is that instead, they go over and beyond to make the first half of March all about Rafael to purposefully get my goat, since his comes first anyway on March 10, and so come March 14, I backlash again and make that day forward ALL. ABOUT. ME. It's been a good system as far as I can tell.

And Wells Fargo never disappoints! Every year they wish me a happy birthday and every year I love it!
So while the usual Vegas plans are in motion, Rob and Raf aren't able to go this year (sadface) and after my French test I went down to San Diego for the weekend, not least of all to celebrate Rafael's birthday.

When I got in on Sunday, I met Pam and Doug and friends Tyson and Julie at the Wine Bank across the way doing a tasting. This meant after my test, I immediately got to wash down the French with 4 glasses of wine (one white and three red). After that, Pam and Doug and Priya, back from the movie with Raf and Rob, were off to the SD/NM basketball game at SDSU. Kunal and Sri were coming back from Sruti's, so they picked me up on their way back to Kunal's, just a few blocks down, also in the Gaslamp.

Boy was I excited to hear that we were going to be at Bar Basic! It's inexplicably my favorite bar there, and I was shocked I'd be going without having to drag everyone. Sri, Kunal and I picked up beers and hung out at Kunal's for awhile until Raf and Rob showed up, then headed down to Gaslamp with Sruti and Dan to eat, and pray that SDSU won so that Doug would be in a good mood. And they did!

Bar Basic!
 We left just before Basic closed and went back to Pam and Priya's. I remember someone pouring me a rum and coke, but I also remember taking one swig while they were looking at me to be polite, but then setting it down and laying down on the couch and sleeping. I also spent the next few hours listening to everyone yell at me to wake up, but Priya was asleep on the chair next to me, and you know what they say, power in numbers!

I woke up later to Pam YouTubing SDSU videos and trying to make me watch interviews with Coach Fisher, insisting it will make me appreciate next weekend in Vegas that much more, and Doug arguing with her and telling her I wasn't going to remember anything and to let me sleep. They both sort of won, I remember some of it, but really just went to sleep after a few minutes.

The next morning we had a six hour brunch, and believe me, I almost wish I were kidding. We went to Meze (the same place I went to last time!) around 11am, and didn't leave until 5p. Our waitress was way too good to us, sneaking us bottles of champagne after the brunch bottomless mimosas were cut off, and then only charging us like $9 for subsequent bottles. Perhaps the best thing to come out of the whole weekend was when we were doing yet another mimosa toast, and Sri yelled "Bottoms up!" Priya had already downed hers and was waiting on a refill, so, just sitting there in front of her empty glass she said "My bottom is already up" not realizing what that was going to sound like, but it became an instant classic.

When we finally got up at 5p from our table, we went back to Pam's, I fell asleep, and then we met Doug's parents for dinner at a Chinese restaurant called Lucky Liu's on the next block. I had a raging headache and was pretty disoriented, but I think the food must have helped a ton.

A group picture, including our waitress with her tongue out...?

Kunal wanted to instagram this and pour Doug got caught awkwardly  in the background. No way to avoid that

Doug and I sent this picture to Ankita in an effort to convince her to come to Vegas this weekend

The first selfie... you know how that goes

Kunal was supposed to take a picture of Priya and I smiling for the camera, but I think we were in too deep of a conversation, and so he just got these instead




The birfday kids

Truly bottomless mimosas
Needless to say, I was not in a position to drive back home that night, so I slept over again and left first thing in the morning back to the Riv. And shortlived... come Thursday night, I'll be swooped up in Pam's car and on the road to VEGAS BABY for my Friday birthday! Who ever said dreams don't come true??

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friendy, although I wish that you were in more of them!

      Delete