Friday, November 1, 2013

The Unicorn and the Conehead

My Halloween this year was characterized by eggs, middle schoolers, and my cat. I want Khaleesi to be able to go outside, for both her own sanity as well as mine so I can get rid of the litter box, and I was able to get her an appointment to get fixed yesterday, so I had to trap her, throw her in a carrier and drive her on the freeway in an open-aired Jeep to Norco. I felt so, so sad for her, and stayed with her while the clinic weighed her and did a few other preliminary things with her. I hate this part of owning a pet! I feel awful taking them in for surgery, they're so stressed and scared and confused, not to mention all the post-op issues. The receptionist was dressed up as a cat thought, so I felt Khaleesi must be in good paws.

I was working at a middle school science class and wore Kathleen's unicorn accessories, a unicorn ears & horn headband, gloves and tail, complete with a unicorn necklace and gold sparkly nail polish. The kids loved it, and I was surprised that none of them also had my costume. The best one I saw at the school though was a little Ron Burgundy, he looked perfect with the suit and mustache and hair.



The science classes were doing "Gravity Day", they had projects they had made beforehand and today was the day they received the egg to put in the project and we would go out to the front of the school to have them hoisted off the roof to see if their egg withstood the drop. So, I basically spent the entire day out in the sun, constantly wrangling uncracked eggs from the successful projects and monitoring all the egg handling when putting into projects and confiscating eggs from all those little minions who tried to sneak them back into the school to throw at people. It was pretty amazing to see them act like they had never seen eggs before. If you put anything unusual into their natural habitat, they freak out. It really is more like a zoo.

After work I had to go back to the clinic to pick up Khaleesi, only to find out that there had been complications with her surgery and there was reason to believe there could be internal bleeding later, so they faxed her information over to a vet in case I needed to go in the middle of the night, which was incredibly disheartening. So I ended up staying in last night, in my old Spartan costume to pass out candy to the trick-or-treaters (cute!) and be with Khaleesi, the poor coned-out kitty.


We had a few scares, I did think I was going to need to take her into the vet, and she is still pretty lethargic, but overall her appetite seems to be back and she appears to be doing much better, but also, still a conehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment