Thursday, December 5, 2019

A Musical Year + Decade

I keep forgetting that not only is 2019 ending, but so is an entire decade. (Bring on the 20's Old Sport!)

So, Spotify sent me not only my 2019 Wrapped, but my Decade Wrapped too (well, back to about 2014 when I first started using it) and wow, what fun that is to see the music you were obsessed with years ago and how it all changes.

I'm embarrassed about some of it, surprised about some of it, and proud and awwww'ing about some of it. My 2019 really seems off, and I think it must be because my Spotify listens were split between my Spotify account and my Modest Maestro Spotify, but anyways, in the name of full transparency, here's the half embarrassing, half surprising recap of my music for 2019 and beyond:

In 2019:


*I listened to music from 26 countries

*Spotify said I was "Genre Fluid" and my top 5 genres were:
     a. Pop
     b. Showtunes (LOL read: Hamilton)
     c. Rap
     d. Indie rock
     e. Europop

*My top artists were...
     1. Kacey Musgraves (say what?)
     2. Stars
     3. Kesha
     4. Lady Gaga
     5. Mon Laferte

*My top songs were...
     1. Let Me Down Slowly by Alec Benjamin (Really?)
     2. Take Your Time by Sam Hunt (Also: really?)
     3. From The Bottom of my Broken Heart by Britney Spears (LOL I had a 90s revival late in the year)
     4. Better Now by Post Malone
     5. This is America by Childish Gambino


In This Decade:


2014
Top Song: Hurricane by Halsey (I remember I discovered her this year before she went crazy mainstream)
Top Artist: Halsey

2015
Top Song: Third Eye by Florence + the Machine
Top Artist: Florence + the Machine

2016
Top Song: Lazarus by David Bowie (I forgot how moved I was by his post-mortem album!)
Top Artist: Of Monsters and Men

2017
Top Song: She Speaks the Language by AFI (Interesting...)
Top Artist: Arcade Fire (the Everything Now! album!)

2018
Top Song: Satisfied (Ha! Sure was!)
Top Artist: Hamilton Original Broadway Cast (LOL that's where the show tunes came in)

2019
Top Song: Let Me Down Slowly by Alec Benjamin (I take issue with this)
Top Artist: Kacey Musgraves (Well I really do like all 3 of her album!)

*ARTIST OF THE DECADE: FLORENCE + THE MACHINE (Hell yeah!)

*Top Artists of the Decade
     1. Florence + the Machine
     2. Of Monsters and Men
     3. Arcade Fire
     4. Hamilton Original Broadway Cast
     5. Lin-Manuel Miranda (potato/potato, should've skipped to my #6...)

*Top Songs of the Decade
     1. Caught by Florence + the Machine
     2. Third Eye by Florence + the Machine
     3. Delilah by Florence + the Machine (I didn't even like this song! Fake news!)
     4. What Kind of Man by Florence + the Machine
     5. Queen of Peace by Florence + the Machine

LOL, guess the artist of the decade was correct. Seems like skewed data, although I do remember just listening to the How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful album nonstop for like 6 months when it came out and I worked at UCR buuuuut, I did that with Hamilton too.

Anyways, wanted to commemorate this here. Will be fun to compare when my 20's decade wraps up!

Happy Holidays folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment