Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Cat Breeds

Last night Marisa and I had to go to the late yoga class so I ran to Trader Joe's after work to get grocery shopping done. My checker was a youngish kid who looked just miserable.

I think he is probably forced to make small talk by management and he kept asking me questions as though he had a gun to his back and would rather be in a five-hour lecture.

"How was your Thanksgiving? That's nice. Did you stay local? Mmhmm."

I am content to not say anything at all. Just tell me my total and let me swipe and be on my way. But he kept talking so I had to keep responding.

"Is this your last stop for the night?" he asked.

"Yes. Just home to the kitty now."

"That's nice. What kind of cat do you have?"

That's such a weird question to me. Are there different kinds of cats? Aside from like, a Siamese, or maybe those ugly naked cats are there really any distinctions? Even to me, a Siamese is just a pretty coloring and in the end they're all just... cats.

So I thought about it and then I told him "A bitch. I have a breed of bitch cat."

And he actually looked startled and then genuinely laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment