Thursday, February 20, 2014

Yoga Wednesdays

My long-time friend Marisa, who has been my partner in crime since middle school (and believe me, that was a lot of crime) and my tennis doubles partner for Ivy League and CIF competitions (we came back from 2-5 to win 7-5!) has since become a work-out buddy, and after mastering Mt Rubidoux and then Box Springs, we took to taking yoga classes once a week.

We decided to mix up our Yoga Thursdays and tried out a Yoga Wednesday, even though the class was a step up from the level we had been doing. The studio is nice enough, out in Redlands, and the teacher we had on Thursdays would play music throughout the session, which was a little surprising to me. I've only ever attended two yoga studios before this one, and I don't remember music being played except for at YogaWorks SoHo in New York City for restorative yoga and they had a live sitar player (you can't make this stuff up) but our Thursday teacher was playing the likes of Ke$ha and Rihanna, which somehow felt counterproductive to the whole mantra of yoga, I thought maybe some of my chakras were being misaligned.

Well the Wednesday Yoga teacher (who was actually just a sub, so who knows what it's really like) played music too (and even put on her little diva Jazzercise-esque microphone) but she put on the likes of The Doors and The Rolling Stones. Never thought I'd be doing yoga to that, but I found it pretty Sweet McSweeterson. And then to do savasana to Neil Young's Harvest Moon... well it was probably the highlight of my week. After the Girl Scout Cookies from Mr. Otis. But still a close second.

It did turn out to be a hot yoga class though, and Marisa and I were slipping off our mats and slipping each other WTF looks and we may or may not be considering finding a new class. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment