Monday, November 3, 2014

Halloweekend

Well I had quite the weekend and wasn't even expecting it. On Friday after work I went straight home to clean up and turn on the Halloween lights, pour candy into my bowl (and set aside a mini stash for me - remember this, this will come up later) and let Khaleesi out for a little bit before the trick-or-treaters came around.




It ended up as me and all the neighbors (from my house and next door) on our porch, passing out candy, hiding beers as the kids started up our walkway, and Dave off in the corner spray painting anything he could find.

We had a ton of kids coming around... and parents too?? One old man came around with his dog dressed as a pumpkin collecting candy, and the most traumatic incident was of a MOTHER literally dressed up as Britney Spears from Baby One More Time, trick or treating with her daughters. We were literally speechless, but she still got our candy, so I guess the joke was on us.

We had more kids than I had been expecting. The candy started to dwindle. I started to ration it more. I started taking candy from the neighbors to hand out. Then came two little girls, one was The Little Mermaid and the other was Pocahontas. The Little Mermaid got to me first and took my last piece of chocolate. I looked at Pocahontas and said "I'm so sorry, that was my last piece of candy!" she shrugged good-naturedly and headed down the stairs. I felt so awful, and there were still so many families out, so I finally conceded that I would dip into my own stash and hand that out too. My neighbors thought it was so funny, because after I sent Pocahontas away, I was already passing out candy to the next kids to come, and they told me that Pocahontas was going to come after me with a tomahawk.

As the kids died down, we all went to the other house to pregame before heading out downtown. This is what my porch looks like from the neighbors' perspective! With Dave out there, still working on his projects.


We ended up going downtown and barhopping all over... Mission Lounge, Menagerie and Pixels, it was so much fun! And since I was referee, in my Chuck Taylors and a leather jacket (since it was starting to rain) I had double the fun and was so comfortable and felt bad for those girls strutting around in stilettos and tiny heels. It was sweet.

On Saturday I had to recover, run some errands, and then hit up downtown again with a friend. We mainly hung out in The Hideaway playing pool, and turns out my neighbor is the chef there, and he hooked us up with tons of leftover candy, score!

On Sunday I took two of my students out to hike Mt Rubidoux and then have lunch at Taco Station. It was such a nice day for it... it was cool, but the sun was bright and warm, and since it had rained recently, it was very clear and beautiful.




It's always fun to mingle internationally, there was little Californian me with a Chilean and a Singaporean. I was still  not recovered from Friday and Saturday, so after the hike I went home and slept. Poor Khaleesi, her mama was completely useless this weekend, like a Lucille or Lindsey Bluth.

No comments:

Post a Comment