Monday, November 10, 2014

Portland in Fall

I had the best week ever in Portland. Best. Week. Ever! What a great time it was. And everything, from plane rides to check-ins, so incredibly smooth and easy, and perfection. Even the weather was glorious! It only rained one morning and I was in sessions the whole time so it didn't bother me. I got to comfortably wear boots, scarves and jackets and enjoy the colors and river and Portland!

From the beginning: I had a busy Monday night, got home to pack. Khaleesi was interested in my honey wheat stick pretzel and yes, actually even ate this. Then she tried to prevent me from packing more.



In the morning I was set to go, dressed for cooler weather, and headed to the airport. It was so nice to be able to drive and park! And because I forgot how small Ontario is, and was even flying out of the second terminal, I was actually the only person in security and had an hour and a half to kill, which, thanks to my laptop, went quite quick. Coming into the PNW you could see Mt Hood above the clouds!


Arriving in Portland, it was my instinct to take the public transportation but... classic overpacker that I am, and with work footing the bill, I went and grabbed a cab. I was at the waterfront Marriott and was treated like royalty (remember this, it comes into play later). I checked into my 10th floor river view room, checked into the conference, which didn't really have anything going until a networking event that night, so I headed out into the city for a walk.







Nice little Oregon landmark. Don't forget that nice note in the top corner!











That night was a networking reception. I showed up, cashed in my free drink, and then got caught in a few yawn-inducing circles that made me want to run right back up to my room, put on Ja'mie King and go to sleep, but thanks for being the over-indulger that I am, I decided to get a plate of snacks first. I had a beer in one hand, a plate in the other, and needed a place to sit. I scanned the room and saw an empty table, save for two girls about my age sitting and talking to themselves. I sat down, excusing myself for interrupting, saying "Sorry, I just need a place to eat my cheese".

In most cases, people just say that's fine, and continue on. As it happens, these were my soul-friend-mates, and being that they were so incredibly friendly and sweet, I hit it off with them, and they ended up being my BFFs for the whole conference. I am so happy that I sat down at that table that first night!! It turns out that the vendors and exhibitors at these conference run on the same circuit together, so many of these people knew each other from previous conferences and always run into each other at the events, which was pretty cool, and I got welcomed into their circle.

After the networking event, the girls Erin and Julia invited me out to dinner with them. We went with a group of us to Portland City Grill, a rooftop view of all of Portland. And can I tell you how cheap this place is? All these restaurants do nighttime happy hours, so starting at 9p, they do happy hour again to close. We got entrees and rounds and including tip, it was $20!! And this was a swanky upscale place! We played drinking games until the place shut down, then went by the infamous VooDoo doughnuts.





My daytimes were devoted to sessions, which was informative and great, and I met so many awesome people from universities and other educational institutes from all over our two regions. I went and had sushi with a guy from Washington who had just moved there, and we had lots to talk about because of our interest with Native American Student Programs, it was crazy.

The coffee breaks in the afternoons were DANGEROUS. One day was completely VooDoo doughnuts... the other was Haagen Dazs, ice cream bars, root beer floats, caramel corn, chocolate covered pretzels, cookies and fruit. I stayed and had everything. Then took more up to my room. Oops.

That night was an 80s dance party. I didn't dress 80s, I figured I was the 80s outfit. They had a Michael Jackson impersonator who was in love with Julia, in the same way that Ben Franklin was in love with Pam, and a photobooth! I ended up on the conference instagram during the electric slide... why is no one doing the same move? I don't think there was that much alcohol...






After the event, Julia, Erin, Ali and I went out for drinks at a whiskey bar, then got Thai, then hit up the Rainbow SIG conference party.




Please listen to this. My Thai bill was $7. That was an entree of pad thai, and a large Singha beer. For $7. THAT WAS DINNER. Oh don't worry, it gets better. The Rainbow SIG party at Slaughterhouse had $1 drinks. Are you hearing that? $1 drinks, $1 shots. Jayna, I know we thought Austin was amazing when I got two Uncle Carls' for $5, but Portland now takes the cake!

Let's see, more sessions, more networking, more friends. On the last night of the conference, we went to a riverside party hosted by some group, which equaled free drinks. Then we went to the hotel bar and got hot apple pie drinks, played drinking games, then ended up in the hot tub, singing and playing with the handicap chair to enter the hot tub and pool.

The last day was a little sad. I had a few morning sessions, then saying goodbye to people around as I passed them, exchanging business cards everywhere, and running up to shower and pack and check out by 1, and from there walked to my hostel in NW.

Remember when I said Marriott treated me like royalty? Well, they did. And then checking into my little hostel where they hand you your sheets and you make your own bed... lololololol. I almost understand the diva concept a little bit. It's hard to go from one extreme to another! But hey, the Marriott loved me! But it was great, and my hostel was in a beautiful old building, with a deck and a balcony. I checked in, got settled, then read outdoors while drinking dry lavender soda, which was an extra I saved from the conference.

I went out and warmed myself with pho (mmmm) and then walked up the hills into Washington Park, where I saw the rose garden and the Japanese Garden, supposedly the most authentic Japanese garden outside of Japan. There were such beautiful views and I loved seeing Mt Hood in the distance over the river, and seeing the hills covered in pines everywhere else, it was such a nice site.


Can you see the crazy spider??




Look at that name at the bottom of the statue! We're not worthy!

See the pumpkin?












I made it back to my hostel to warm up and freshen up, then went out for dinner (pizza and my newest favorite beer, Portland-local Drop Top, an amber ale that is almost as good as Yuengling, which I can never find on the west coast!!) then went to see Wild Cub & Bleachers at the Crystal Ballroom.


The show was AMAZING. I'm not sure if Jack Antonoff is just a good performer, or Portland is a great crowd, but it was one helluva show, and the venue was cool and perfect walking distance from my hostel.

I slept in on Saturday, then got everything ready for check out. I took a walk down toward the river, getting an amazing coffee and almond pastry at a small coffee shop called Pearl, then hit the Saturday market, Powell's City of Books (which requires a map!) walking halfway across the Burnside Bridge, and I went by the Chinese Garden, but they wanted you to pay to enter, and I had already done that with the Japanese garden, and I knew I wouldn't be in there too long, so I just took one picture through some brick holes. Oops.















The weather was gorgeous. My cab driver back to the airport was friendly. Portland was so welcoming and kind and beautiful. And then I got to come home and be reunited with this little Khaleesi beauty!



And yesterday was all unpack and catch up. And then I have tomorrow off too. What a great week! I miss you Portland, and I miss the conference and all my friendyssssss! On another note, I officially need to invest in a GoPro.

No comments:

Post a Comment