Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Life Coach Needed

I have pack-rat tendencies. I like to keep anything and everything that has some sort of meaning and can be revisited for the nostalgia. I suppose it's okay when they're little things that fit into shoeboxes like ticket stubs and cards and receipts (which are some of my favorites and two-fold: I can either admire the foreign address of the restaurant from a trip, or remember some of the meals and conversation had at that particular time), but I also have a collection of about 10 shoeboxes full of this stuff alone, and don't get me started on the rest. Going through my boxes I was finding a leopard purse from middle school (perfectly in tact! talk about memories!) and a folder from sixth grade, still decorated in pictures of cats and the US Women's Olympic gymnastics team who had just won team gold in Atlanta the year previous. So, I think I may have some excessive stuff.

When I was leaving New York, and needed to pack all the belongings that I had both brought and acquired during my years there into a much-smaller-than-originally-thought rental car, I had my friend Sri over to help me load up the car, and he became the resounding voice of reason in what I should be tossing and what was essential to bring. I really needed that additional voice (and that "I'm doing you a favor by telling you to throw that out" haha) but part of my willingness to listen at that point was also the rush to get things settled so I could hit the road already since I was driving all the way to Raleigh that day.

Still! It seems that I'm going to need a new life coach to whittle down my things at this point. But don't you think about some things later, or see them in pictures and think "whatever happened to that?" or "I wish I still had that!" or wish your grandmother had saved some of that stuff to show you later?? To be clear, I'm not a hoarder. Just a generally nostalgic person.

In other news, I'm sporting grandma's shoes today and walking on air and the rest of you should be jealous.


Aaaaaand yesterday I was able to put together the cat tree for Khaleesi. She seemed pretty interested and was crawling in/around it and it looks so cute for her.



I still may be more excited about it than she is but wutttttever.

No comments:

Post a Comment