Monday, August 4, 2014

Cat Furniture!

Et voilĂ ! The crafter in me has a completed a project! When I was in New York City, one of my friends showed me how he had created a litter box home for his cat by using a dresser that he essentially hollowed-out and cut a hole in. The point is that both the site and the smell of the litter box is hidden, but the cat still has easy accessibility and your home just looks furnished normally. I thought he was a cat-owning GENIUS although when I told some people about this they all seemed aware it was a thing, although these pre-made ones go for extremely expensive online and in-stores. So I had been keeping an eye out for a piece I could use for that and finally found one at that huge yard sale I helped out with at the end of May.


Thus began the journey to converting it for Khaleesi.


First I sanded down the entire piece and stripped the layer of lacquer from the top




Jim helped me cut a hole in the side, where Khaleesi can enter through



I tested the two colors I had gotten from Home Depot: A muted gray and a Tiffany blue



I filled a lot of the nicks and holes on the surface with wood putty



I cut apart a wooden picture frame (which may have been the most strenuous part of the entire ordeal) to fit over the top of the hole to give it a more finished look



Side view






The painting was my favorite part, but it was looooong. The bottom and inside was all to be the Tiffany-blue







The outside gray, and I changed out the knob




Finished product...?



In the end, I didn't like the look of the Tiffany blue in that large scale. It looked sky-blue to me and just not fitting for my little Khaleesi for some reason. So I went and bought more paint and re-did the inside in this "Lavender Wash" shade






Plus that new crystal handle



Finished product!





Now I want to fix up moreeeeee things!

No comments:

Post a Comment