Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Lessons in Baking: Apple Cider Doughnuts

I think I mentioned I'm subscribed to the New York Times Cooking section, and it's pretty apropos, even though it can be overwhelming (they sure do send a lot, and with a lot of variety too!) but with the change of seasons they sent a great fall round-up that included apple cider doughnuts, and I wanted to try something fall-y for this fall, so I decided to take them on.

"Doughnuts" sounded intimidating, but my takeaway was that this was essentially just a muffin recipe but in the shape of a doughnut.

For the record, they turned out great! Great consistency and fluff and tasted great, perhaps a little too soft (a few broke when taking them out of the mold) but they didn't seem overly apple-y or anything.

The recipe called for apple cider and I collected it on a quick trip with Sophie and she was not cooperating, so I didn't have time to really shop thoroughly, so while I got was labeled apple cider, it was still basically a mass-produced bottle that I'm not convinced it was any different from apple juice. Maybe "real" apple cider would've produced a more obvious flavor...?

I also think maybe I should have used piping to put the dough into the pan cause it was pretty messy with a spoon. They also were flat-topped, I wonder if piping would have made it more round, or if this recipe just wasn't very doughnutty and wouldn't have produced that doughnut-store look?

You can kinda see how smooth and
fluffy the dough was, which produced
a great baked product in the end

When I realized I maybe should have
piped them

Straight outta the oven

Cinnamon and sugar topping

Brushed with butter while warm
to help the sugar and cinnamon stick

Et voilĂ ! Some are better than others haha

Despite all the above, they turned out pretty delicious and I sent them all off to AJ's work with him today so I didn't eat them all myself at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment