Friday, February 3, 2023

The Great Crêpe Disaster of 2023

For Christmas I got a crêpe maker set that included the portable griddle cooker, crêpe spinner and beveled beechwood spatula. I decided the inaugural test would be yesterday, February 2, which is La Chandeleur in France, an annual holiday in which you just make and eat a ton of crêpes. I asked Sophie's French teacher if you would say "Joyeux Chandeleur!" as a joke, but as a true française, she didn't get it, and instead explained to me that it's something of a holiday to welcome in the springtime, and it was a way to use up all your stored flour and kitchen supplies from the winter.

For some reason I thought it would be better to invest in the imported crêpe mix from France rather than risk a messed up homemade batter for the first time, but that was pretty dumb cause I sure wasted a lot of it (and it wasn't cheap!) in order to practice my crêpe spinning skills.

So it was a bit of a mess (and I think I threw away the first four or five...) but I DID feel vindicated in the end after I did some research...




HORRIBLE HORRIBLE FAIL!


The spinner that came in the kit is a horrible fail! It is beveled like a rake and all it does is spread the batter to the ends (as you can probably see). When I did more research, actual crêpe spinners are cylinder dowels, like a chopstick, so it does spread it around, but doesn't empty it from the middle (if that makes sense). So I've already invested in one of those and crêpe making is now on hold until that comes in.

I actually was able to finagle a few decent crêpes, even though I didn't take pictures of those ones, but the good news is that they still tasted delicious, and Nutella can cover a multitude of cooking sins!

No comments:

Post a Comment