Monday, February 6, 2023

Lessons in Baking: Turkish Yogurt Cake

I don't know where I come up with these inklings for what I try, but I saw a recipe for a Turkish yogurt cake and decided to try it over the weekend. I think I was intrigued to work on a cake that wasn't flour based.

I noticed too late that I didn't have whole milk Greek yogurt and only non-fat but at that point, whatever.




It came out fully rounded but sunk to
a bit of a bevel shape after a few minutes
but from the recipe photo, I guess that's
sorta how it's supposed to finish

It was really interesting to see the texture and how it came together, especially with the bubbly egg whites.

In the end I'm not sure if I didn't let it cook enough, because I think it was supposed to be browned on the entire top surface and when we finally cut into it, it was harder to cut cleanly the lighter it was.

In the end though, it was really good! It actually had a texture like cheesecake and it's been a nice, light snack, and a great way to use up a lot of Greek yogurt if it's going to go bad soon. This also had lemon zest which gave it a great citrus flavor, but I would love to try with some other flavors next time (vanilla? almond? raspberry?) I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment