Thursday, March 21, 2019

United Arab Emirates

I sat on the longest flight of my life when I flew non-stop from Los Angeles to Dubai. Sixteen hours and some change, if I remember right. I was actually able to pass the time quite well, however, catching up on good movies and all that, so it didn't feel like the longest flight of my life at all. But, it was still long.

Dubai is literally Vegas. When I was waiting for my luggage, I felt like I was in Las Vegas. Palm trees, lights, mirrors, beautiful fancy decor, even the taxi line felt like Vegas. And it didn't end there. The entire city felt like Vegas.

That being said, I was not a fan and am not eager to return. But allow me to show you some pictures...

Our flight path was straight up and over the North Pole!

Vegas Baby?

I was able to get a womens taxi, designated
pink, driven by women for women


A 24 hour Cold Stone? In Dubai? Huh?

I loved the Arabic numbering everywhere

Big Ben...?

Palm Jumeirah. Waste of my time



Sandstorms made everything hazy

I'd be down to visit this water park some day...


I really appreciated the women-only cars!



Dubai Garden Glow! Highlight of my trip.
Just a park with amazing glowing sculptures
in very vibrant colors

















Burj Khalifa, tallest structure in the world.
When the sandstorm cleared, I could see it.
Doesn't look so impressive here, right? Wait
til you see the skyline view from later on...

It's so massive!
Down to Al Fahidi Fort, the original Dubai
  




The Souk!

Didn't these look beautiful?

The Dubai souk
The fair was quite busy and I didn't really meet anyone or make any friends there. On Sunday, the fair had recommended we take cabs (rather than the train) to Abu Dhabi, so that's what I did. It was kinda cool to see the space inbetween, but rest assured it's definitely the desert...



Boss Baby (aka my nephew Luca) out front
of my hotel LOL
I wasn't able to check in when I arrived, so I went to take a tour of the Grand Mosque. My Lord was this thing impressive. Just beautiful.





Women had to wear abayas and they loaned them out for free.
I was just glad I got a blue one because the red ones were
giving off some Handmaid's Tale vibes...












This has some accolades. I think it's the largest
hand-woven rug in the world...?




Some beautiful views from the cab


My hotel was also a resort. It was a shame
I never got to enjoy it for that!

Nighttime looked so beautiful there
with the trees!


Nearby park where one cat came along...

...and then they all started coming out of the
woodworks haha







Grand Mosque in the sunrise


Flying over UAE/Oman!
I left from Abu Dhabi to Vietnam. Before I go there, let me recap my impressions of the United Arab Emirates.

Dubai is really going for a Vegas vibe, and they've succeeded. They, smartly, recognized oil wouldn't last forever and wanted to tap into the business and tourism industry, and they've done a good job. It was really my ignorance, assuming everywhere in the Middle East must be so ancient, that there would be significant history and cultural landmarks. But, there wasn't. The UAE was really only built up in like the 1970s. There was really, really, hardly anything there. Everything was brand new. It felt very sterile in a way. It felt contrived, and fake, in the way Vegas does. And like Vegas, everythingggggg was soooooo farrrrr...! Even from the Metro stop I felt like I had to walk foreverrrrr to get to where I was going! And, some of the main sites were just shopping malls (Dubai Mall, Mall of the Emirates) and that just isn't my scene.

Abu Dhabi was a little less like that, but there still really wasn't much to see or do. I will say though, that the diversity in the UAE is quite impressive! (Emiratis are only about 15% of the population in Dubai!) and for that reason, they know how to get along and accept one another, and I really like that too!

Both places had some nice resorts and beaches and whatnot, but living in the United States, I really didn't see it being worth the trek just for that. Europeans, sure. Us... not so much.

Lastly, my layover on my way to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) was in Bangkok and OH. MY. GOD. I STILL CANNOT GET OVER HOW AWFUL THAT AIRPORT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I was so frustrated at the airport, it made me never want to even go to Thailand!

The airport was ugly. It was industrial and concrete. It was hot and humid. The A/C definitely didn't go everywhere. It. Was. So. Confusing. They didn't list gates for departure. They only listed airlines and what wing of the airport they were in. There weren't clear maps. And all the gates were on the second level, that you couldn't even see, so you couldn't see if you were in the right place. And, apparently they realize how insanely confusing it is, because they had info desks like every 10 steps with people asking WTF because no one could figure it out!

To top it all off, I tried to buy some water and a few other things from a store there, and they refused to take my card because I didn't sign the back. Now, I know there are several non-American places that don't accept that, so I provided both my passport and drivers license, which verified the name on the card, my identity with the picture, and my signature associated with it. And they still. wouldn't. take. it. I was in the worst mood during that layover and couldn't WAIT to get out of there!!

Lucky for me, it wasn't a long layover and I was on my way to Vietnam...

No comments:

Post a Comment