Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Heat Wave from Hell

Wherever you are in the country, you probably heard talk about the southwest heat wave and MY GOD it was no joke. The worst of it was last Friday, July 6, and I've never felt such heat this close to the ocean, it was MISERABLE. My car thermometer said 117, which I think it tends to over exaggerate, but it definitely got to 110+.

The girls usually keep their distance from one another, so the
fact that they were so close to each other and laying like
bunk buddies says a lot! #hot

I might have been able to ignore it or at least stayed holed up in A/C until it passed, but unfortunately not only had we already committed to the Angels game that day with a large group from AJ's office, but even when I was about to text AJ to back out and say I couldn't muster up the energy to go, I remembered they were playing the Dodgers in the Freeway Series, and I couldn't very well miss that. Of course, that was the first time I remembered they were even playing the Dodgers; halfway through the day when I was already at work. Guess who was wearing Dodger Blue that day??? It couldn't have been worse. At least I had an Angels hat with me (not like I wanted to wear it much in that insane heat!!)

It was miserable. And there was tailgating and all I could do was drink more and more water. And I wanted my pokebowl which was on the opposite side of the Budweiser plaza where we were all going to hang out. Years later, we trek through the heat to the Budweiser plaza, but it's crowded and loud and I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack and I don't want anyone to touch me because I am so hot and sweaty and feel like I'm going to pass out. I want to go to our seats, but as it turns out, they were literally on the opposite side of the stadium again and I couldn't deal.

So, I had to stand off to the side and watch on the monitors, so that's how I was able to spot AJ getting on the big screen!






But it's better. I sent those pictures to his mom and she said I know - I just saw it on TV! So that little bit made it onto TV which was really cool (we watched the recording later at his mom's place).

After the sun went down, it got more bearable, and even though we were surrounded by screaming, shit-talking Dodgers fans, we still made our way to the first seats we could find to sit and watch the rest of the game. This was probably bottom of the 7th or top of the 8th. AJ kept asking if I wanted to leave and I did cause I felt overheated, but we were so close to the end I was just like eh we can stay.

AND BOY AM I GLAD WE DID. That ending was INSANE. That was actually THE most EXCITING baseball game I had seen EVER! And to be there in person was so magical. The Angels were down by 1, it's bottom of the 9th, Shohei steals 2nd and 3rd, a line drive the Dodgers couldn't get get him home to tie the game. Some more line drives and we have someone running to home, but Dodgers throw home so he stops... but the catcher misses it and we end up scoring to win the game. I have never seen AJ so excited, yelling, whooping, screaming GO HOME DODGERS FANS (he's soooo not a shit-talker so that was big haha) and also watching the Dodgers fans, who had been boisterous all game up until the bottom of the 9th, get completely deflated, then just stand there open-mouthed and silent was pretty priceless too.

I ♥ Shohei Ohtani!

No comments:

Post a Comment