Monday, July 14, 2014

Weltmeisters 2014

What an exciting weekend! On Saturday I got to watch Marisa get married at a beautiful venue in Temecula wine country for a wonderful ceremony and reception (and I even caught the bouquet!!) and then (since I was halfway there anyway) I went to San Diego afterwards for a night of frivolity and then a day of festivities watching the World Cup.

I got in late Saturday night and met everyone at Kunal's. There was an open bar at the wedding, which was great, but since I was driving I had to be very careful, and when I showed up in Gaslamp at 11 pm on a Saturday night, I was pretty far behind them, so I caught up. Our plan was to get to the North Park neighborhood around 11 to meet up with Rob and Pearo and Jenny to make it to the large viewing party off University and 30th before the game started at noon... but when Priya waltzed into her own room in the morning (where I had passed out) and unleashed her Australian shepherd on me, I awoke to find it was already 10:45 and looked like I was the only one awake. So we were a little late getting out.

A stop at Starbucks and we got to Rob's just as they were walking out, which was perfect. Priya ended up at the block party, but we never made it past Poor House. We were going to meet up with her here at half time, but she said it was too hot, and we were content in our small little bar, having grabbed an entire section to ourselves.


I have to say that I was surprised that there didn't seem to be much balance between team supports... and everyone around me (minus Pam and kind of Doug) and everyone everywhere seemed to be rooting for Argentina. I thought there would have been a little more balance...? But what do I know. I was all-out rooting for Germany. As I posed for this picture, a passer-by said "oh look, there's a German flag holding a German flag!"


Here is our group (minus Priya and Alex), and Rob trying to hide my German pride!


I normally would just delete this selfie, but the reflection in the glasses is almost cool.


After the German win (woop woop! what a great goal, caught on the chest and kicked in as it came down!) we walked back to Rob's place around the corner. These pictures are kind of a long story, but I think what's important to know is that 1. We had been day-drinking. 2. Rob is an amazing and fantastic uncle to his nephews and nieces and 3. Apparently we will just do anything when we are in a group. So here are pictures of us standing in different ordered lines

Priya was stealing my flag!!

Priya is cute in the back

If only Kunal had leaned over like the rest of us!

It was a long drive back to Riverside after that, hot and I was tired. I did, however, listen to Sportfreunde Stiller's '54 '74 '90 2010 in celebration, and they can now officially update it to '54 '74 '90 2014! (Did they already do that?)

I pretty much came home, showered, and went straight to a few chapters of Game of Thrones (what I could work in between Khaleesi's crying for me to throw her rubber band) and fell asleep.

I can't wait for wedding pictures to surface, I want to see me swooping in and catching that bouquet!

No comments:

Post a Comment