Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Running Club

My sidekick fitness gal-pal Marisa and I finally made to the running club I found through work yesterday... you know, only like 3 weeks after we said we were going to go every week.

Well, Marisa comes to my work, we meet up, then walk over to the meeting place together. We can't really find anyone. Well eventually we do find someone. Two of the leaders showed up, but that was it. They kept saying it was so weird that no one else was there because they usually have a group of at least 10, but anyway, here we were.

I told them we were very low level. He says okay, then says we should warm up. Let's run a lap! And then he takes off around the baseball field that we had met at. Marisa and I looked at each other and just started laughing, but had no choice other than to go too. A warm up for running is running? As we tried to keep up behind him, we kept bringing up new cases "It's like if you show up to a ballet class and they say 'okay, let's warm up, please perform Swan Lake'" or "Welcome to art class, let's warm up, please paint the Mona Lisa". So if you couldn't tell, we really aren't big runners.

When we finish our lap, the guy says we will do some drills. Marisa asks if they are running drills, and he says no. He tells us to do these fancy run shuffle walks to the middle of the field. As we take off, Marisa laughs and says 'Yeah, these are running drills'.

I couldn't really keep up. I was tired from the warm up lap, he was moving really fast, and if it's not slow and controlled yoga, I guess I don't have the energy for it. So Marisa and I followed behind, and I started just dancing and then running to catch up, and then pretending to be doing the warm ups whenever the leader turned around, and Marisa was saying how much it was just like tennis and we needed our old coach there to yell at us and motivate us and then not care if we cheated, and we were laughing so hard I could barely get from one side to the other, every time. It was really fun, and felt like we were back in high school.

Then of course came the actual running. I was kinda proud of us! We went for a pretty darn long while on the trail before we needed to stop and walk. Maybe like 2/3 of the whole 2 mile stretch. Or maybe 3/5. What I really learned is that I need to update my running playlist.

Aaaaand next Monday is Memorial Day so we're out another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment