Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Chinese Gamble

I've been fortunate enough to be able to sub for my former teacher, who has given his classes over to me when I sub for him, so I got to experiment and try my own lessons with them. This week I was in his classes yesterday and today, so I took the liberty of assigning more in-depth assignments requiring homework, which I regretted last night as I stayed up past bedtime, trying to watch Game of Thrones between grading their papers and being so horrified by their spelling that I was sure I was going to get nightmares, but it was still fun. I had an ESL learner from China, which meant that he was pretty much SOL since we didn't have any translators that I was aware of, although he had some resources on his iPad which helped him out. I didn't expect much from him (how could I?) but I was pleasantly surprised by the effort he put forth, and to show him, I ran "very good effort" through my translation app (the first app I ever downloaded, who said I wasn't a linguist?!) and wrote it at the top. I am actually terrified. I don't really believe in these AI translators anyway, and have heard and seen horror stories of them, and I can only hope it did not fail me now! I probably said something really offensive. Oh well, I'm just a sub!


I was also inspired to wear my authentic Indian kurtha that Palak had given to me a year or two ago. The last time I wore it around her was out to an Indian restaurant, where I proceeded to immediately stain it with drips of curry. So I took a picture to send to her again.


Here was the sunrise on the way to work yesterday. I am continually impressed. Also, not sure if you can really see it, but I had the sunrise glowing in front of me, and the moon was still setting in a dark sky behind me, as I could see in the rearview mirror. It was really quite beautiful.



And, who could ever neglect this little bug?


Khaleesi is, after all, the mother of dragons! Rawr.

No comments:

Post a Comment