Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Middle School Reality Show

What perfect little students I had today. That almost doesn't even seem right. I took over the second half of the day for a middle school social studies class, and the students were somehow great. They stayed in their seats, and were working, but weren't silently quiet, which is what makes them great to me. They were still talking, and asking questions, and making jokes, but not to a disruptive level, and that's what made them near perfection.

I still had to tell them that we only sing Miley Cyrus to ourselves in our head, and that we're not going to make friends by stealing pencils, but they also were collectively planning a reality show for their school, figuring out the US checks and balances system by themselves, explaining Lewis & Clark and Sacagawea in their own words, figuring out if the class was more Team Peeta or Team Gale, and then more Team Edward or Team Jacob, and then asking me to sing a Bruno Mars song for them (which I regrettably did not). Maybe it's because I've been going to this school pretty often now, so I'm getting a lot of the same students, and they're starting to recognize me and know me and therefore STFU and listen when I talk, so that's always nice.

This past weekend I had an SNL marathon (thank you, Netflix) and re-discovered so many classic sketches (like all of Tim Meadows' OJ depictions) and discovered so many new sketches (Roberta's Thanksgiving!) and characters (Penelope...!) so, plenty new material for life in general. 

It's definitely fall around here, which I forget even is a season in southern California, but it is noticeable. It's depicted by dryness that makes you want to put lotion directly on your eyeballs, and wind that makes you want to gel your hair down to the sides of your face. Welcome, seasonal changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment