Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Lessons in Baking: Raspberry Cheese Danish

This recipe I found for a raspberry cheese danish seemed completely innocuous. I thought it was a normal amount (I mean, only 3 cups of flour...) but as a sweet bread, it apparently is a lot lighter and airier with a lot more to go around. It wasn't until the dough was prepared and ready to get into crafting the danish that it instructed me to divide the dough into two and each one would be rolled out to a 10x12 inch rectangle! That's massive! So I set half aside (which I am now realizing that second half probably needs to be baked today, but I am way too tired) and decided to just make one.

Just making one meant that I needed to halve the filling recipe, which seemed simple enough, but I feel like I must have messed it up somehow, because the cream cheese filling ended up very runny, which didn't necessarily ruin it, but it was a bit of a problem. So, next time I think it'll call for more cream cheese than it's asking for.

With how runny it was, it was a bit difficult to evenly spread the raspberry preserves on top, but funny enough the final product seems primarily raspberry preserves.

The way the instructions said to assemble the danish made sense and I could see it in my head, but as I was doing it, it wasn't turning out at all like I was expecting. I was thinking it would be a rectangle with X's across it, but instead it became more of a loaf with a braided appearance. Maybe that's how it was supposed to be. I don't really mind, but it was difficult to work it with the filling spilling out everywhere.

Nevertheless, the finished product turned out nice I think!


It spread out a lot more than I thought it would, so for future reference, I should probably hit the center harder with any pre-baking toppings I use (instead of the vanilla glaze I just used Swedish pearl sugar here).

It is HUGE but I think I'd like to try to make more individual-sized ones in the future rather than this big ol' loaf (at least when it's just three adults here in this house and I am limiting my sugar as much as possible).

This was one of the funnest things to make so far though.

No comments:

Post a Comment