Thursday, March 5, 2020

The Driving Range

In 2020, AJ and I started dedicating a bi-monthly night to each other and take turns planning what we'll do. Last night was AJ's night and he gave me a choice of going mini-golf or the driving range. I've expressed to him before that I'm down to learn some golf since he's so into it, and I was kinda in the mood, so that's where we went!

We started off chipping, and I kept getting distracted by the mommy and baby bunny at the edge of the course eating the grass. Then we went to the putting green and AJ taught me a game (pullback or something?) I won first, he won second, so we did a tiebreak and I won! Booyah. Then we went to the driving range.

My mom said beginners luck runs in our family and I guess it does. AJ taught me some posture and general rules (and I reminded him every chance I got "don't talk in someone's backswing" (skip to 0:45) - even though he never did LOL) and I was getting the ball off the ground in some good arcs at the beginning... but then I started to wear out.

My back was really hurting - the stance didn't feel right, but AJ said it was just because I wasn't used to doing this. As a dancer and tennis player, I'm used to breaking my wrists, and not doing that in golf just makes me feel like Frankenstein. But I did end on a good note and get a few good hits to finish off the night. AJ said he doesn't like hitting range balls with his nice driver, but I made him let me hit at least one ball with the biggest driver in his pack.

I told AJ that next time I plan our nights... I'm going to drive us to the driving range... and I'm going to take out his golf club holder... and he's going to get so excited thinking we'll be golfing, but instead it's filled with carrots and we just go around the course feeding the rabbits. Hey I mean, it's my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment