Wednesday, November 15, 2017

A Night with David Sedaris

Yay! Tonight, my friend Shirley and I went to see David Sedaris talk at the UC Irvine campus. We had no idea what to expect. The title of the night was simply "A Night with David Sedaris" and the only "description" was simply his biography, so we went in a little blind.

Nevertheless, he delivered, and I have to say his presentation and in-person self is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from his writings, so I'm glad there weren't any disappointments. The night ended up being a bit of a reading, with mostly new material coming out (which was awesome) with a short Q&A, followed by a signing.

Because Jayna went to his badass signing in Raleigh and got a book signed for me, I didn't bother taking a book myself, and Shirley and I weren't going to stay for the signing, but when we were leaving the theatre, the line for the signing was right there so we just decided to jump in line and wait the 10 minutes. Shirley got her booked signed and I just took a post-it to have him sign. I had nothing intelligent or witty or funny to say to him, so I just felt a bit like a fool talking to him there. I wish I had known we would have that interaction and think of something but alas, I was just an idiot.

Anyways, that was a semi-dream come true. He is one of my true literary heroes!

No comments:

Post a Comment