Monday, June 5, 2017

Junetime

I was both looking forward to this weekend, and dreading it, simultaneously, for a long time. First of all, after my insane workload since August, June 2nd marked the last "real" event before summer, so it will be plenty more relaxed for the next few months now. And, as it happened, I scored some tickets to Modest Mouse at the House of Blues Anaheim for that night, so it was the perfect way to celebrate. So that definitely happened.





The only time I saw Modest Mouse was at Coachella 2013 and the lead singer definitely seemed drunk. But then tonight he was also kinda weird so I'm starting to think that maybe he's just on the spectrum or something. But anyways, they were freaking awesome, they have such good music to dance to!

On Saturday I went to go have lunch with grandma, who seemed to be doing great and in great spirits. She was wearing her Halloween socks, eating chile rellenos and crackin jokes











On Saturday evening, AJ and I went to a dinner to celebrate my cousin Robert's graduation from Chapman University. He has four weeks off and then he goes back for his masters! He wants to be a high school English teacher.






Then Sunday was the rough day, it was AJ's grandma's funeral. It was a beautiful day, but it still didn't feel real, any of it. As she was a lifelong pianist, her graveside service featured a live jazz band, and it was followed by a reception at the restaurant where she played live piano every Saturday for years.




After that, a lot of the extended family, in town from all over (Northern California, Washington state, Kansas City...) decided to have a BBQ at AJ's grandma's house, so we went back there for pool and food and the NBA finals. AJ and I spent most of our time in the pool with the youngest cousins and had a lot of fun. I refused to get my hair wet so I made up pool games and was the judge, ha.




It was a really nice end to an otherwise very sad day. AJ and I actually came home in really good, happy moods, even though we still can't believe that Arlene is no longer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment