Sunday, September 29, 2013

Shut Up And Play The Hits

Life lesson of the weekend: it always pays to occasionally go over Netflix's Recently Added category. I get so caught up in my good ol' faithfuls (read: Arrested Development, Portlandia, The Office, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Louie, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Archer...) but glanced over at Recently Added to find some gems, like stand-ups from Zach Galifianakis, Aziz Ansari and Louie C.K., new Saturday Night Live seasons, and Shut Up And Play The Hits, a sort of documentary on the end of LCD Soundsystem, shadowing lead James Murphy and ending with their final show at Madison Square Garden. It even started off with footage from his interview with Stephen Colbert on The Colbert Report.

I was thinking about Shut Up And Play The Hits while I was on the road. I don't know why, it just came to mind. Maybe cause I love LCD Soundsystem, their dance beats, their lyrics, all that stuff, but who knows. Still, I found myself daydreaming about it, and them, and Stephen Colbert, and then completely missed my freeway exit. That has never happened to me before over something so random! That was weird. (At least The Groundlings was awesome. We are getting into a lot more character and scene work, which has been very challenging, but also super fun, and I've somehow already been Ginger, an overly-emotional dogwalker, Marge, a video-game enthusiast coming out with Cuban Dragon 7, the newest videogame console, and Theresa Louisa, a host of "Pep Talk," a cable access talk show.)

On the Saturday Night Live side of Netflix's Recently Added, I watched a 2010 episode with Bryan Cranston hosting (to commemorate the last episode of Breaking Bad which aired tonight that I couldn't watch since I'm not caught up, sadface) and judge me if you will, but this dumb sketch of The Bjelland Brothers, featuring Bryan Cranston and Fred Armisen long-haired and singing to the "lightly attended" Target stadium in Minneapolis was cracking me up. All they sang was "I sent a bottle of sparkling apple juice to your house... did you get it?" over and over and over and for some reason, I guess I was just in the right place at the right time in the right mood, I couldn't stop laughing at it. I tried to find a clip to put here, but they've all been taken down, and everywhere I searched had scathing reviews of that episode, not to mention they hated that sketch. It's one of those things that... I could step back and logically see that this wasn't so funny, and it's not going to make any type of history, but... I loved it, and it had me going. I guess it's just true that "the heart has reason that reason does not understand."

Still. Shut up and play the hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment