Friday, December 10, 2021

Dorothea Evelyn

I remember what a big party her 90th was. I can't remember for sure, but it's possible that she was still driving at that point. She was in good shape for so long. I held my breath for her 99th and just a few months later when the year turned, I remember thinking... even if she doesn't make it until Fall 2017 for her 100th, at this point it's pretty crazy that she's seen 1917-2017. So how unreal that after all that, she lived to be 104 years old. 

So many people get so much less time with their grandparents; we were so lucky. And it was a devastating last few weeks, and I was fervently praying for her suffering to end... yet even so, when it happens, it is still surreal, and so upsetting. I had nothing left unsaid, nothing left undone, and yet it doesn't not hurt that she isn't here anymore, and I won't be able to spend any Saturday or Sunday afternoons at her home, and she won't be present for any more milestones in my life. I miss her already.

November 6, 1917 - December 9, 2021

L to R: Laura, Herbert, Dorothea, Eugene and Wilbur
1927






































Love you, grandma. Rest well.

No comments:

Post a Comment