Monday, January 27, 2020

K is also for Kobe

Man, came in to talk about my weekend and Kobe, and saw my last post was K for Koalas (and kangaroos!) and now Kobe.

AJ and I had our yearly trip up to Big Bear yesterday to take Nannerz up to the snow. We were still driving on the mountain when Kathleen texted me that Kobe Bryant died, which I thought was a weird joke to make. She said something about a helicopter and I was like nah, this is a weird hoax. Of course I started looking it up, and the texts were pouring in from all over, but I was getting so sick on the winding mountain roads I couldn't look at my phone anymore, so AJ and I had to just not know what the heck happened for another hour or so.

It's just so devastating. Growing up in the LA area, of course Lakers were everything, and of course Kobe was every guy's idol, and even I would shout "Kobe!" in high school when throwing trash into the trash cans across the room.

I'm not a huge basketball fan, but I always considered Lakers to be the team that I was for, and I will never forget the magic of their threepeat season. Those were the years just after Mat had his accident, and we would all hang out at his mom's house every evening of the Lakers games to watch the dream team with their amazing shots and buzzer beaters. Ryan and Rachel were die-hard Lakers so it was so easy to pick up on the energy and excitement from them.

And even now, Kobe lived in Newport Coast and did have some connections with UCI, and was seen at their gym facilities playing basketball. And to think his daughter was in the helicopter too, AND the OCC baseball coach and his wife and daughter. It's just so damn tragic and unbelievable. I STILL feel like it's a mistake, like someone got it wrong.

So, while we still had a nice time with Nannerz in the snow, I couldn't stop thinking about Kobe...



I also had a really fun Friday and Saturday too... I went up to LA on Friday cause Jessica got us concert tickets. We pregamed at her place in Silver Lake, then went downtown. The concert was Michael Kiwanuka and was at the Ace Hotel. We ate a pretty sweet restaurant nearby (I was on celebrity watch the whole time LOL) and then walked to the concert. Man the Ace Hotel theatre is beautiful! It's practically a medieval cathedral! We had great seats and he was fabulous live! After that we went to Seven Grand where I, for the first time in my life, lost my credit card LOL. I noticed it when we got back to Jessica's place, which, by the way, the Uber ride was amazing, he had his iPod on shuffle and Prince Ali from Aladdin definitely came on haha!

In the morning, we walked around the Silver Lake neighborhood to get coffee and then breakfast tacos. It was a nice, warm walk and her neighborhood is pretty cool! You get a great view of the Hollywood sign and Observatory from around the place. After eating, we went back to her place and she introduced me to my new favorite obsession: the TV show Flirty Dancing. It is everything!!!

I wanted to stay and watch forever but I had to get home in time to make it to our friends dinner at a dope Korean restaurant, where I learned one friend is pregnant with baby #2 and another is getting ready to take the plunge to do IVF! AJ and I continue to be the only childless couple nearby womp womp!

Anyways, the best part of Silver Lake was walking back, we passed by the Vista theatre, and I was enjoying checking out some handprints when I saw the one that took the cake: the cast of SHOWGIRLS!!!!


This really completed this LA trip for me.

And I'm off for my next work trip on Wednesday. It starts...!

No comments:

Post a Comment