Thursday, November 30, 2023

Lessons in Baking: Two More Rounds of Danishes

If I haven't said it before, Summer is an absolute dream baby, and now that I'm feeling much more myself, I've been trying to be a bit more productive during this maternity leave, so last week I decided I wanted to try making danishes again. I really wanted to get better at shaping them and also, the dough was kinda weird.

Well I tried again, also a raspberry cream cheese filling, but the dough turned out the same as last time - thick and almost impossible to shape. I had the exact same experience this time around as well (at least I'm consistent).



I ended up having a lot of the cream cheese filling left over, and it seemed a shame to just throw it away - and it had raw egg in it so it was going to need to be baked in some capacity. So the next day, I decided to try again.

This time, I decided to ditch the generic "sweet dough" I used before, and really looked up how to make danish-specific dough.

This made all the difference. It was still a little difficult to shape and work with, but I also was doing this inbetween cooking a homemade lentil soup and it had been a long day and I was exhausted. They turned out... interesting:

Pre-oven

Post-oven

...but really, I actually was quite happy with them because for one, I could see that if I rolled the dough out thinner, it would be a lot better, and also, the dough was a great success for a first try. It was light and flakey and I felt like it was great progress and I'm looking forward to perfecting it further.

No comments:

Post a Comment