Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Dancing: From Ballet to Bollywood

I thought May was busy but June has been turning out to be even busier. Even though it's fun stuff, it's been a lot to juggle.

Somehow I've miraculously made it to my dance recital on June 3rd. I was really thinking it might not be a possibility as my pregnant stomach ballooned up and I was becoming less and less mobile - but I did it!

In the dressing room waiting to go on

Right after we performed (see how sweaty I am?)













I've been hoping Sophie would be getting interested in dance and I had my fan club in the audience stay for a few numbers so Sophie could watch her people (aka the 3 year olds) dance their cute little ballet dance to Second Star on the Right from Peter Pan. Apparently though, she wasn't as impressed with them as she was with a tap number... she demanded her shoes back on and was stomping on the floor. That's fine with me though, tap works too!

The other kind of dancing was the kind that I was surprised didn't kick me into early labor. We went down to Temecula this past weekend to celebrate Sri's wedding to Annu! A Friday night sangeet, and a pretty much all day wedding that went til midnight in a beautiful venue with so many of us all together again was so much fun that it was actually kind of depressing. We're getting to the end of the weddings and with so many of us so spread out, these opportunities are fewer and farther between. But, it was so exciting to finally celebrate Sri and Annu.

First with the sangeet...


Sangeet night!






Super comfortable salwar kameez for
someone in their third trimester


Then the wedding, which started with Sri's baraat...







Then the ceremony...









Then the cocktail hour (can you tell I've just had to collect other people's photos since I didn't do a good job of taking them myself?) They had a full oyster bar which I was unable to partake in :(


 And then partying way too long into the night!

Three East Coast Buddies!


Three SD buds!






The funniest part of all was how white the whole thing ended. We got into the rock music (The Killers, Blink-182) and then the encore which actually concluded the whole night with Old Crow Medicine Show's "Wagon Wheel". Crazy story is that Annu was born in Nebraska and raised in South Dakota, so she definitely has those midwestern roots, but AJ and I were talking about how that was the whitest ending to any wedding we'd ever been to! But oh my goodness, such a great one, I was so honored to be there and so, so, so, so happy for Sri!

No comments:

Post a Comment